|Grand Canyon National Park History!|
|A brief history of the Park itself!|
Although first afforded Federal protection in 1893 as a Forest Reserve and later as a National Monument, Grand Canyon did not achieve National Park status until 1919, three years after the creation of the National Park Service. Its area was greatly enlarged in 1975 by the addition of the former Grand Canyon National Monument and Marble Canyon National Monument and by portions of Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, as well as other adjoining lands. In 1979 the park was also designated a World Heritage site.
In 1999 President Clinton added the Grand Canyon/Parashunt National Monument to the far western end on the North side of the Colorado River.
Today Grand Canyon National Park, containing 1,904 square miles , receives close to five million visitors each year, a far cry from the annual visitation of 44,173 which the park received in 1919. Grand Canyon became a national park in order to give it the best protection we as a nation have to offer. The mission of the National Park Service, here and elsewhere, is to preserve the park and all of its features, including the processes that created them, and to provide for the enjoyment of the park by visitors in a way that will leave the canyon unspoiled for future generations. Hopefully they curtail the use of aircraft and helicopters so we can enjoy the vast quiet!!
The North and South Rims' are connected by a 215 mile long paved road and by a 21 mile long transcanyon trail. Scenic drives and trails lead to all important features. Hiking, mule trips down into the Canyon and rides down the Colorado River in rafts are intensively sought-after ways of viewing and experiencing the vast beauty of the Canyon. Some five million people visit the national park each year. Most spent only an hour or two gazing at the amazing, fantastic vistas from the South Rim and then travel on somewhere else.